Frequently Asked Questions

Office of the Secretary of Finance
Revenue and Taxation
  • How long is a government issued check valid for?
  • Government issued checks are valid for ONE YEAR from the check’s print date.

  • What do I do when my check has been damaged, stolen, or lost?
  • Depending on what type of check, there are steps to be taken in order to rectify the matter. Contact our office immediately.

  • How long does it take for checks to reach my post office box when it’s been mailed?
  • Once checks are mailed out to respective post office boxes, we advise recipients to allow a minimum of two weeks for post office staff to distribute.

  • How can I find out what the status is of my payment?
  • We are able to assist you via phone, fax, regular mail, or email upon receipt of proper identification.

  • What are locations of cashier stations?
  • Effective Oct 1, 2021, All CNMI Government payments and dues will be taken at the following CNMI Treasury Cashier Stations

    • Main Cashier Location, Bldg 1322, Capital Hill, Saipan
    • Revenue & Taxation Cashier Location, Joeten Daidai Bldg, Compliance Section, Dan Dan, Saipan
    • DPS - BMV Cashier Location, Records Section, Susupe, Saipan
  • Can I pay my BGRT at all cashier points?
  • Unfortunately, BGRT payments are ONLY accepted at the Revenue & Taxation cashier stations.

  • Can I pay my EXCISE TAX PAYMENTS at all cashier points?
  • Excise tax payments can be made at the following location

    • Customs Seaport, Puerto Rico, Saipan
    • Customs Airport, Airport Road, Saipan
    • Customs Post Office, Chalan Kanoa, Saipan
  • Do all cashier stations accept credit/debit cards?
  • Yes, all cashier stations accept credit/debit cards. STRICTLY MasterCard or VISA.

Procurement Services
  • Is there a centralized area to check on Purchase orders, invoices, 1099 data, and other vendor related requests?
  • The Department of Finance, CNMI, is pleased to announce the use of Vendor Self Service (VSS) as an enhanced service to our vendor. Click here to go to the VSS Portal.

  • How do I get registered on the Vendor Self Service (VSS) Portal?
  • For instructions on how to get registered on the Vendor Self Service Portal, click here.


  • Does the Division of Procurement and Supply have a Standard Office Procedure for Invitation to Bids and Request for Proposals?
  • Yes. Procurement does have a Standard Office Procedure for all ITB’s/RFP’s. We have available samples of an ITB and RFP ready if needed.

  • Do we need to submit a copy of the Purchase Order for Marianas Variety and/or Saipan Tribune when submitting our request for ITB and/or RFP even if it hasn’t been approved?
  • Yes. All Purchase Orders for Marianas Variety and/or Saipan Tribune shall be submitted with the request in order for Procurement to process the ITB and/or RFP upon approval.

  • Do we have to get the Governor’s approval for every request for ITB and/or RFP before submitting it to the Division of Procurement and Supply?
  • Yes. For all local funded projects or renewal of contracts shall get the Governor’s approval prior to submitting the documents to our office in reference to the Governor’s Executive Order – 2020-002. Federally funded projects do not need the Governor’s approval and may submit the documents to the Division of Procurement and Supply.

  • Is it possible to shorten the bidding timeframe due to the urgency of the goods or services needed?
  • Yes. Procurement Regulations §70-30.3-205 (e) (1) states: “Minimum Bidding Time. A bidding period of at least 30 calendar days shall be provided unless the P&S Director determines that a shorter time is reasonable and necessary. Such shorter bidding period must afford potential bidders a reasonable opportunity to respond considering the circumstances of the individual acquisition, such as complexity, and urgency. The bidding period, however, shall never be less than fourteen calendar days.” A written justification to the Acting Director of P&S stating the urgency of the goods or services needed by the Department/Agency.

  • Is it possible for us to do our own ITB and/or RFP for construction or A&E services without the Department of Public Works?
  • No. Procurement Regulations §70-30.3-115 (i) states: “The supervision, inspection, and administration of construction contracts (including architect-engineer services) shall be performed by the Secretary of the Department of Public Works or his designee unless the Secretary certifies that the expenditure with authority has the capability to handle his own construction and A&E Contracts.” All request for construction and/or A&E Services shall provide a written justification to the Secretary of Department of Public working seeking assistance to prepare an ITB and/or RFP for construction or A&E services for their Department/Agency.

  • If a copier machine is $5,000.00 and we want to procure it. Do we still need to process a request for an Invitation to Bid?
  • Yes. Procurement Regulations §70-30.3-220 (e) states: “Any lease or purchase of a machinery and equipment in excess of $2,500.00 shall be procured pursuant to §70-30.3-205 Competitive Sealed Bidding or other applicable provisions of the regulations in this sub-chapter.

  • Do we have to submit our request for an Invitation to Bid for our Department/Agency to lease or purchase a vehicle?
  • Yes. Procurement Regulations §70-30.3-220 (e) states: “Any lease or purchase of vehicles shall be procured pursuant to §70-30.3-315.”


  • What do I need to attach to the contract prior to submitting the documents procured through Invitation to Bid/Request for Proposal?
    • Selection letter of winning Bidder/Proposer
    • The original Contract (Depending on what type of services or goods that will be procured)
    • Attachments shall include
      • EXHIBIT A – Standard Terms and Condition v.2/11/2020
      • EXHIBIT B – ITB/RFP Summary Opening Sheet
      • EXHIBIT C – Bid/Proposal submission from winning
      • Bidder/Proposer
      • Any other documents related to the contract.
  • How many different types of contracts does procurement have?
  • Purchase of Services Contract (Professional Services)
    Purchase of Motor Vehicle Contract
    Purchase of Goods Contract (Heavy Equipment, Copier Machines, etc.)
    Lease of Warehouse Template
    Lease of Building Template
    Lease of Motor Vehicle
    Changer Order (Any Changes within the Original Contract)
    Change Order for Extension (Extending Period of Performance)
    Notice of Contract Extension

  • Where do we obtain the contracts (word format)?
  • The CNMI Attorney General's Office.

  • Who is responsible to fill out the contracts?
  • The Office of the Expenditure of Authority.

  • What do we do when the contract is already expired?
  • All contracts that are already expired is no longer valid. Department/Agency must procure through ITB/RFP or other subsections in the CNMI Procurement Regulations that allows the procurement.

  • How do we do a Sole Source or an Emergency Procurement under a contract?
  • Sole Source Procurement - Justify through letter to the Acting Director of Procurement and Supply utilizing the CNMI Procurement Regulation Section 70-30.3-225 (a) (1-7)
    Emergency Procurement - Justify through letter to the Acting Director of Procurement and Supply utilizing the CNMI Procurement Regulations Section 70-30.3-230 (a) (b) (c)


  • How long does it take to process and receive a purchase order?
  • It takes about 1 day to enter an approved purchase requisition. It takes about 2 – 3 working days for a Purchase Order to be completed.

  • How to go about rectifying a deficient purchase order?
  • A memorandum from the expenditure authority is needed to make any changes to an approved purchase order.

  • How to go about canceling an approved purchase order?
  • A memorandum from the expenditure authority is needed to cancel an approved purchase order and the state the reason for cancellation. The requesting department needs to also provide the original and the green (Dept. copy) of the purchase order attached with the memorandum.

  • How to about processing a purchase requisition that needs an Advance Payment?
  • In order to create an “OA” (advance payment) purchase order, a proforma invoice is needed or an indication from the vendor on their quotation that an advance payment is required.

  • Can I process multiple purchase requisitions to procure an identical item and submit a purchase requisition every week to avoid the bidding process?
  • You may certainly not. It shall not be artificially divided. This is in violation of the CNMI Procurement & Supply Rules & Regulations Section NMIAC 70-30.3-120 – Split Contracts.

  • Can I procure furniture(s), computers and equipments utilizing a purchase order and complying with the Small Purchase?
  • Yes. If the purchase is below $2,500, attach a copy of the quotation to the purchase requisition.
    If the purchase is above $2,500, the purchase requisition must be accompanied by three (3) quotations and based the selection of the lowest price and quality. However, if incomplete quote, the expenditure authority must obtain in writing from the other vendors and their reason for not submitting a quotation.
    As for purchase of a vehicle, as stated in the CNMI Procurement Rules & Regulations Section 70-30.3-220 (e) where it states: Any lease or purchase of vehicles shall be procured pursuant to NMIAC Section 70-30.3-315. Any lease of purchase of machinery & equipment in excess of $2,500 shall be procured pursuant to NMIAC Section 70.30-3.205 – Invitation to Bid.


  • What are considered Capital Items/Fixed Asset/Capitalized Property?
  • Is non-expendable property equal to or greater than $5,000.00, the acquisition value of which is charged to a property (asset) account and which is distributed to capital accounts in accordance with established CNMI Government policies and procedures.

  • What are considered Minor Properties/Selected Non-Capitalized Property?
  • Properties that are below $5,000.00 which is controlled for physical accountability.

  • How do we participate in Government Auctions/Sale of Government Properties/Public Sale?
    • Variety of Disposal Techniques:
    • Invitation for Sealed Bids
    • Public Auction
    • Or by means of Negotiations at the discretion of the Director of Procurement and Supply.
    • All government Personal Properties must first be surveyed by the Custodial Agency and all Property and Accountability Management Branch processes be completed before any requests from interested individuals can be entertained.
  • Why haven’t P&S executed a Public Bid on Government Personal Properties/ITB lately?
  • P&S does not have the appropriate facility to perform the proper disposition process according to the regulation.

  • Why do agencies have to do their own In-House Physical Inventory instead of P&S Property and Accountability Management Branch?
  • There was a revision to the Property Management Policies and Procedures on January 8, 2003 issued by then Secretary of Finance Frank B. Villanueva where it notes that persons accountable for property will actually perform the annual physical inventory of property under their control based upon printouts furnished by P&S.

  • How can we obtain Excess Federal Surplus Property/Surplus?
  • P&S is the State Agency for Federal Surplus Property.
    P&S in currently under suspension from the program pending audit citation compliance.

Customs and Quarantine
  • What must I declare upon entry?
  • Before you arrive in the CNMI (via airplane or shipping vessel), you will receive a CNMI Customs Declaration Form from your Airline/Shipping Agent or from flight attendants of aircraft or ship officials. Complete the form to the best of your ability./p>

  • Are there import restrictions when arriving in the CNMI?
  • Yes. Controlled substances, obscene articles, and toxic substances are generally prohibited entry. For a full list of illegal items (contraband) items, please click here.

  • If I am holding a valid CNMI Firearms License, am I allowed to import a approved/legal firearm and accessories?
  • Yes, however, CNMI Customs will temporarily hold that firearm(s) until the firearm(s) registration has been verified with Dept of Public Safety. You are reminded that any firearm, ammunition, or destructive device being transferred into the Commonwealth via post or common carrier shall be addressed to and received by a firearm vendor duly licensed under Commonwealth and federal law. (6 CMC 10 §10805) In addition, you cannot exceed ten (10) round magazine. Anything exceeding 10 rounds will be seized and destroyed. This includes round limiters or stopper. You may import ammunition, only if you are licensed for that specific caliber. Also prohibited is any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm (magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition). This also includes any tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rim-fire ammunition.

    For the full regulation regarding the use (and import) of firearms and ammunition as well as the violations and penalties, refer to SAFE Act (PL 19-42) and SAFE II (PL 19-73) Possession & Management of Firearms

  • How much money am I allowed to bring into the CNMI?
  • Currency, coin, traveler's checks, money orders, and/or negotiable instruments of a total of more than $10,000 in USD (or foreign equivalent) is allowable as long as the money is declared on the Declaration Form

  • Can I bring in food as a traveler (fruit, cheese, meat, etc.)?
  • You may bring in processed and/or pre-packaged food items. However, you must declare all food products. Failure to declare food products can result in thousands of dollars in fines and penalties.

    Meat, milk, egg, poultry, and their products, including products made with these materials, such as dried soup mix or bouillon, are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States, depending on the types of animal diseases which occur in the country of origin. Fresh (chilled or frozen), dried, cured, and fully cooked meat is generally prohibited from most countries.

    Dept of Lands & Natural Resources - Division of Agriculture-Quarantine is responsible for enforcing all things agricultural. To know more about allowable or prohibited food and drink products, please call 670-288-1045.

  • Can I bring in cigarette and/or tobacco and alcohol products?
  • A traveler may import tobacco products and alcoholic beverages free of Customs duty provided that: traveler is not less than 18 years of age; goods are not for sale; goods are accompanied by the traveler at the time of final disembarkation; goods are not being carried on behalf of any other person or persons.

    Cigarettes, Cigars, Tobacco Allowances (Normal Passenger Allowance)
    • Cigarettes that comply with the Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act shall not exceed 3 Cartons (30 packages of 20 cigarettes per package)
    • Cigarettes that do not comply with the Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act shall not exceed 1 carton (10 packages of 20 cigarettes per package)
    • Cigars not exceeding 1 pound
    • Tobacco not exceeding 1 pound or
    • Any combination of the above but not exceeding 1-pound net weight

    Alcoholic Beverages
    • Distilled alcoholic beverages not to exceed 77 ounces or
    • Wine not to exceed 128 ounces or
    • Beer or other malt beverage not to exceed 288 fluid ounces
    • Any combination of the above provided that it does not exceed the equivalent quantity under distilled alcoholic beverages, wine, and beer or other malt beverages.
  • Can I mail cigarettes or cigars through the mail (USPS)?
  • The CNMI observes the rules and guidelines as established by the United States Postal Service (USPS). Cigarettes, cigars and smokeless tobacco are restricted. Click here

    Exceptions for Mailing Cigarette & Smokeless Tobacco

    • Small-quantity “gift” shipments to individuals is exempted from the mailing restriction, however, the cigarette (and/or cigar, smokeless tobacco) must be declared on the declaration form at the time of shipment, owed taxes ($3.75 per pack and the .42% environmental beautification tax) are paid at the time of import via USPS.
    • Individual returns of an unacceptable tobacco product to a manufacturer.
  • Can I bring in marijuana and related products?
  • No person may import marijuana items into the Commonwealth

  • How can I view the most recent regulations for tax rates and other import provisions?
  • Excise Tax Rate Table can be found on our Customs Import Requirements page.

    To learn about the applicable excise tax rates, container rates, as well as other Customs entry procedures for passengers and/or container/cargo inspections, click here.